Monday, December 10, 2012

First Day of Class at YOC (Youth Opportunity Center)

Well that was fun!
Album Link
So the girls and me got dressed and headed up to the YOC this past Saturday. I felt as if I was walking into my childhood. Such freedom and joy overwhelmed me as I stepped into the cozy classroom, with wall to wall shelves of art supplies. *drool* Suddenly, I was a little overwhelmed at the possibilities of what crafts could be made.

It was all a blur....paint, glitter, glue, papers slung everywhere. I was in a different zone and a different time. I'm not sure what happened exactly but I know things were made. Art was created. Projects sat half way done as I tried to focus.

Suddenly it became clear. Oh....I am here to teach. Another student walked in the class and I was able to sigh.

"Hi!"

"Hi" a quiet little voice replied.

"You like to paint?"

"Yes."

That's the thing...art isn't MATH. Now isn't that a beautiful thing? Just sit down and do something. Make brush strokes.

Your mind.....in color.

I enjoyed the entire process of teaching class and even cleaning up. I look forward to going back! Thank you  Brenda and Charles for inviting  me into the process.


-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment